BY: Online Therapy
Featured / Online Counselling / Online Therapy / Treatment
Comments: No Comments
There are benefits for both online and in-office therapy, keeping in mind the two are not mutually exclusive. Some people are adamant that in-office therapy should not be replaced but complement online sessions. If you are comfortable with combining online and traditional counselling, then continue with in-person therapy alongside online therapy.
Questions to ask: Who would provide the best online therapy for you? How do you choose between available online solutions?
In this post, I will provide you with a checklist to select a reputable online counsellor. Once you have decided that online therapy is the way to go, you would be able to make an informed decision about selecting an online counsellor.
Best Online Therapy checklist
- The American Psychological Association (APA) suggests that you have an initial face to face meeting before committing to therapy
- Get information on potential counsellors on social media platforms such as LinkedIn or Facebook
- Sometimes a Google search will provide information such as credentials and qualifications
- It is important that you find a person who will provide a tailored service best suited to your specific needs in terms of interventions and skills
Checklist: Adapted from the American Psychological Association:
- Decide if online therapy the right tool for you
- Check that your therapist is registered with the Psychologist board, Psychotherapy board or the New Zealand Association of Counsellors? Remember, licensing protects you.
- Are you using online apps? Is the site or app secure? Will the information I provide remain confidential? Psychotherapy works in part because psychologists ensure that clients have a safe, private space to share deeply personal and sometimes difficult stories, thoughts or emotions.
For your own peace of mind, do a Google search on your potential provider and check online ratings. You can also view potential online counsellor profiles on platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+